In addition, the Institute provides statewide information about demographic trends through the Population Research Center, an affiliate program of IMS. The Institute and the Population Research Center are part of the College of Urban and Public Affairs at PSU.
In fulfilling its purpose, the Institute:
- Conducts research, marshalling resources from higher education, governments, and for-profit and not-for-profit organizations
- Emphasizes academic methods, expertise, discipline and the longer-term view in studying issues and identifying opportunities
- Facilitates the creation and sharing of information, using such technology as appropriate
- Supports the Vision and Mission of Portland State University
- Fulfills the requirements set out in ORS 190 regarding the independent population estimates of cities and counties, and its responsibilities as the lead agency for administering The Oregon State Data Center (SDC) and Business and Industry Data Center (BIDC) program in Oregon.